This week for Mod Monday we’re changing gears slightly, putting the focus on a staff build suited for the open road rather than the off-road. Our vehicle this week is Grant’s Ford G6E Turbo, a work of art in progress that’s taken three years to get to its current condition.
Grant’s been with Sparesbox for over four years, ‘more or less since day one, back when we were just a few people and an idea’. Starting as one of the first members of our Customer Experience, he now manages the many ranges available on the site. All the while he’s been working on his G6E Turbo, which he refers to as ‘Darkness’ (for somewhat obvious reasons).
Here’s a quick look at some of the work that Darkness has undergone:
- Garrett GTX3582 gen1
- Bosch 1000cc injectors
- GFB FXD Fuel Regulator
- Twin Walbro 460 fuel pumps
- Raceworks twin entry fuel rail
- Raceworks catch can
- Raceworks braided lines and fittings
- Plazmaman 1000hp intercooler
- X-Force 4 inch dump pipe
- X-Force 3.5 inch cat back
- Plazmaman valve springs
- ARP headstuds
- Billet Oil pump gears
- Custom-made 4 inch air intake
- King Springs SSL fronts & SSSSL rears
- Bilstein B8 Shocks all round
- Superpro sway bars front and rear
- Superpro adjustable sway bar links
- Superpro Bushes front to back
- Ford Territory rear callipers
- Ford BA GTP twin pot front callipers
- DBA XP pads all round
- RDA Slotted and dimpled rotors all round
- 20x9 Inovit turbines front
- 20x10.5 Inovit turbines rear
- 15% tint all round
- AEM wideband
- AutoMeter sport comp gauges, boost, oil pressure, engine oil temp, transmission oil temp
- Turbosmart eBoost 2
- 417rwkw on 21psi - 98 octane fuel
- Transmission is a ZF6 (6HP26) with custom tuning
- Stock tail shaft
- Diff has factory 2.73 gears, with a Tru Trac mechanical LSD
- Stock axles
Well hello Darkness, my old friend. What kind of budget have you been working with?
‘Budget has never really been a concern for me, especially since I’ve done all the work myself. So all the work has been labour free.’
I’m sure that Sparesbox staff discount has made life easier as well. What kind of issues have you had with it over the years?
‘Couple of not so minor ones: broke a tail shaft with a hard launch, the centre bearing case let go and twisted the rear section of the tail shaft. Also broke the auto internally, so had to get that rebuilt.’
And what’s made you want to build it up the way you have?
‘Cars have always been a passion for me, ever since I was young. My biggest thing with this was that it had to stay neat and comfortable, but with a fair bit of get up and go.’
That 417rwkw certainly seems like a bit of get up and go. What are your future plans with it?
‘Interesting that you mention the power, future plans actually include a built motor and bigger turbo to produce a reliable 600rwkw on E85. Main concern is squeezing every little bit of power I can get out of it.’
Anything else to add?
‘I like turtles.’
Funny, we would have thought you’d be a bigger fan of the hare in that parable. In any case, we look forward to checking back in with you and Darkness when you’ve made your additional modifications.
For anyone out there planning a build of their own, head to sparesbox.com.au and use the handy vehicle fitment tool to see which parts are suitable for your own pride & joy, and of course, have a great week ahead!